When you click on a page, scroll past this week's featured photo to view.

WELCOME!

This site is dedicated to sharing what we have learned with you! Enjoy our tutorials, and if you have a question please feel free to ask! I know one of our sugar enthusiasts will either know or try to find the answer.
We all have something to share...and we all have something to learn!


___________________________________________________________



Nothing says Irish like Beautiful Lace

Nothing says Irish like Beautiful Lace
Click on photo for Earlene Moore's tutorial for beautiful fondant lace and have fun with your next cake!


.............................................................................................................................

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
.............................................................................................................................



Tuesday, April 7, 2009

How to make a Shoe Box Cake


Supplies

I quarter sheet cake (9x13), cut in half, filled and stacked
Non-crusting buttercream, or thick ganache

Fondant

Roller

Ruler – with good straightedge
Pme cutter, or pizza cutter
White chocolate, colored to match fondant
Use milk chocolate if your box is brown
spatula

White Gumpaste

Edible markers and/or luster dust

Intructions:
Roll out fondant for box lid the night before you want to decorate the cake. This allows the fondant to stiffen and makes it easier to handle.

If you want a contrasting box and lid, then cover the cake in one color for the box,
and Roll and cut the lid in a different color.

Roll out rectangles 1/2" larger than the measurements to insure against mistakes. The 10 & 7" strips are the sides of the box lid. The thinner you can roll out the sides of lid the better.

Roll out white gumpaste in a small rectangle for the barcode, diamond shape for the box label. If you want, you can also cut out lettering for the top of the shoebox. Allow to dry. Using an edible marker and straightedge, draw a barcode and a label. You can also paint your lettering with luster dust.



To Assemble:



Take stacked and filled cake, and crumb coat with buttercream or ganache. Cover cake with fondant and trim flush with the bottom. Smooth and make your corners as sharp as possible. I use the straight edges of my fondant smoothers together at a 90 degree angle and crimp my corners.



When finished, remeasure lid sides to fit over fondant box place the sides of the lid on the top side of your cake. Attach with melted chocolate. Remeasure and recut top of lid to fit perfectly. Lay on top and run bead of chocolate over seams and corners, the smooth with spatula.



Once complete you can attach labels, barcodes or lettering to the box.






Note-
Because Buttercream or ganache will eventually soften the fondant, Place in refrigerator until ready for delivery to prevent sagging sides.



The original idea to incorporate the Birthday and Name into the barcode was the clever genious of Nati Leelavetchabutr. I was so thrilled when she gave her permission for me to use on this birthday cake! Thank you Nati!


************************


Photos and Tutorial by Jacque Benson 2007 -all rights reserved.
The tutorial or patterns cannot be reproduced for commercial purposes without
permission from the author.


28 comments:

  1. This is awsome! 5*****

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Jacque!! This is an great tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unusually beautiful creations. High art. Perfection in square. Large radix compliment.

    Greeting Jacktel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again - wonderful tutorial. The shoe box lid is amazing - all the corners are so perfect - I've had problems with this in the past. Thanks so much for sharing such a wonderful creation

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jacque, let me ask you a maybe stupid question. What do you let your top and top sides dry on overnight? Does it matter?

    Great tutorial! I appreciate the one on the cup and saucer too, although I don't think I could paint a cup the way you do! Those are pieces of art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa,
    That is not a stupid question at all, and should have been included. I will take more pics and update this tutorial later, as I ran short of time this week.

    I roll the fondant out on a silicone mat and flip it onto a Waxed Paper that has been dusted liberally with cornstarch ( cocoa for choc fondant) Your waxed paper must be on a flat surface. I usually tape some to a cake board.

    Then I peel the silicone mat away.
    If your strip moves and loses shape, just shore it up again with a straight egde.

    I allow it to firm overnight. Then I pick it up carefully the next day.

    Sharon Zambito has a new DVD on Boxes and bows. I don't know if her method is the same, but I know that in the rest of her instructional DVDs, she is very detailed about the step by step process. You might want to order her DVD -- I know whatever Sharon puts together, it is PERFECT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Jacque. That info helps a lot; thanks! I'll try this and see how I come out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tutorial, thank you for sharing. Have a Nice HOLIDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the tutorial... thanks so much.
    I did have a question though. Is there a reason you use chocolate to attach the lid and sides? I usually use water. Also when u say crimp the edges do you mean just push them together really hard or almost cutt off some paste to make the edge sharpe. I have cut my edges to give them a sharp look before. Is that what u mean?

    Thanks so much. Awsome site.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this site and tutorial. I dd have a question though. Do u have to use choclate to attch the lid and sides? I use water usually. Also when u crimp are you cutting the edges a bit with the smoother or just push really hard? I have seen people cut the edges and pinch to get a sharp edge, but this looks better. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much Jacque for this tutorial - I'm so keen to make a shoe box cake and this will give me confidence! I'm quite a newbie so I'm so grateful to learn from all your expert guidance! i have a question and hope it doesn't sound silly! I'm making a shoe which has a slight wedge in the front. How would i create that wedge? Any guidance would be really helpful Many thanks! Dee x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eribill,
    Yes you can attach with water, but it can slip. Chocolate firms up instantly.

    Dee,
    I am not sure I understand your question. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for your instructions. I will make a shoe box tomorrow and your instructions will help a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!
    I want to make a GUCCI,CALVIN KLEIN or JIMMY CHOO shoe for my sister's birthday. I might make it for myself as well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, just wondering what size was your cakeboard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually add 3-4" to the width of the cake. But they depends also if I have other sugarpaste items to include on the board, then I add extra inches to accomodate.

      Delete
  16. Hi could you please advise how much fondant do we need in total to cover all cake?

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate your comments and always look forward to hearing from you!

However we do not like spam, derogatory comments, or foul language. We would appreciate it if your would refrain from doing so or your comment will be deleted.

Search This Blog

The Tutorials This Week Were Generously Shared by

RHONDA CHRISTENSEN, EARLENE MOORE, BOBBIE NOTO, EDNA DE LA CRUZ & TONI BRANCATISANO

And to ALL of our Readers...

Above all, have fun and keep baking!

Think CHOCOLATE!

A Very Sweet Tutorial by Bobbie Noto

A Very Sweet Tutorial by Bobbie Noto
I was instantly in love when Bobbie Noto shared this cookie with SugarTeachers! She is an amazing talent. For instructions on how to create this adorable cookie, click on the photo and don't forget to subscribe to Bobbie's website!

Pillow Cake Tutorial by Toni Brancatisano

Pillow Cake Tutorial by Toni Brancatisano
How beautiful! A great tutorial shared byToni Brancatisano. Click on photo to see the tutorial!

Pistachio-Cardamom Cake

Pistachio-Cardamom Cake
Click on link for Edna De La Cruz's dee-lish cake recipe.

Related Posts with Thumbnails